So, thanks to these awesome book reading communities I've been finding on the interweb these past few years, the amount of reading I've been doing has increased immensely. As I already stated in a previous post, I managed to finish my 2013 Reading Challenge with a whopping 101 books (Goal: 100)!
Shopping around the internet, I've discovered a couple other Reading Challenges that seem rather fun to take up.
The 2014 TBR Pile Challenge hosted by Roof Beam Reader will be another one. And as I type this, I'm still checking out other Reading Challenges that others are participating in.
But anyway, the details of this particular challenge are a bit more specific than the BookLikes' or Goodreads' challenge of simply reading a specific number of books. For this challenge, I am to choose 12 books that have been sitting on my TBR pile for at least one year (with two books as alternate choices) and get them read!
Challenge details may be found at the Roof Beam Reader 2014 TBR Challenge. Click the linky above.
I honestly think this is a pretty excellent idea since I keep putting off reading certain books in favor of new releases or my typical "mood reads". If I create a goal, maybe I'll be able to actually make myself read books I've been wanting to read for a long time now.
And on THAT note, here is the list of 12 books (with 2 alternates) that I've chosen as part of this challenge. I did a lot of sifting and decision-making, with the use of list pads, color codes and an excel spreadsheet. I also made a lot of my decisions based on whether or not I already owned the book or whether I could pick it up from the library easily. In the end, the books that would require purchasing ended up getting cut for obvious financial issues.
Ani's 2014 TBR Pile Challenge
1. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
2. Beauty and the Werewolf by Mercedes Lackey -- Review
3. The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya by Tanigawa Nagaru -- Review
4. The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima -- Review
5. The Dim Sum of All Things by Kim Wong Keltner -- Dropped
6. The Giver by Lois Lowry -- Review
7. The Housekeeper and the Professor by Ogawa Yoko -- Review
8. The Neverending Story by Michael Ende
9. The Princess Bride by William Goldman
10. The Prophet by Amanda Stevens
11. Someone Else's Fairytale by E.M. Tippetts -- Review
12. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle -- Review
13. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley -- Review
14. The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
I think I have a pretty well-rounded list here. I was a little worried that my choices would be nothing but YA books since that's what I've been into lately. And there were a lot of books that I wanted to add, but they had only recently been put on my TBR pile, despite having been published for over a year. Ah well, those can be part of a different challenge, or they can be delegated into next year's TBR Challenge when the time comes around.
I thought about adding The Book Thief by Markus Zusak into this list as well... you know, as a freebie since I'm already reading it... but I guess since I'm already reading it, then it would technically be cheating. And also, I added THAT book to my list sometime in the middle of 2013, so it doesn't really count.
Wish me luck!