Shadows on the Moon - Zoë Marriott

On my fourteenth birthday, when the sakura was in full bloom, the men came to kill us.  We saw them come, Aimi and me.  We were excited because we did not know how to be frightened.

O.O

This was quite the introduction and goes to show that this isn't going to be a typical fluff of a YA fairy tale retelling.  Within the first few pages, in the first chapter alone, two of Suzume's loved ones are slaughtered for no reason save for alleged treason.

I have a feeling I'm going to like this one.  And there were some pretty solid reviews about this book, which is what motivated me to consider it in the first place.  It's also an Asian-themed book, which I'm always drawn to (for obvious reasons), but of which I always tend to have reserves about reading.  This one is Japanese-themed, though, and I'm not sure if I would know whether or not the references are appropriate (since I'm Chinese).

Nonetheless, whether the summary, the introduction, or trusted YA reviewers opinions, I'm intrigued with this book enough to want to read it.

Also, I'm currently still riding a YA high fantasy "high" after finishing Fire and Thorns series and am needing something to help me move on from that hollow, float-y feeling you always get after finishing an epic-ly awesome series.

So I'm hoping that something revered as equally YA epic will help.