The Princess Curse - Merrie Haskell

After a long, methodical decision-making process (we wrote down four books each on index cards and then chose one), my BFF and I have chosen our next Mini Book Club book for this month.  (Though the decision-making process on my end ended up in 12 new books hoisted on my TBR Pile...)

The Princess Curse sounded cute, and I'm always up for Fairytale Retellings; this one, in particular, is based off of the Twelve Dancing Princesses... of which I really don't know much about that fairy tale except for the fact that it is about twelve princesses who are cursed to dance all night long, every night.  (Mental note to self: Look up the original story and details.)

Anyway...

So far it's interesting, but the book itself has not quite hooked me yet.  To be fair, I'm only two chapters in (and I've been on a Romantic Suspense kick, so everything else I've been reading hasn't felt as exciting).  The curse is introduced and our main player, Reveka, who narrates the story, is presented.  A small side history of the twelve princesses' origins as well as the inner conflict of the throne inheritance is brought up.

Most importantly, our main character's interest in helping to break the curse is fairly realistic.  Reveka comes off as judgmental, boastful, maybe a bit quick to jump to conclusions and make assessments without having all of her information.  She might be a little in over her head, out of her league.  She's a thirteen year old herbalist's apprentice and it amuses me that she believes she can save the day where other, more experienced adults have failed.

I haven't quite formed a like or dislike for her yet, but I'm of the hope that she's not just all talk.  The fact that she seems to speak condescendingly to royalty (and everyone else, for that matter) bugs me a little bit; you might be a smart cookie, but you don't have much common sense.  No matter how intelligent or useful you are to a kingdom, you are STILL just a lowly commoner... and expendable in the eyes of those sitting high above you.  Reveka might do well to get her respects straight, even if she doesn't feel respectful towards the royal family.

Because during monarchies, that is NOT a question.  I'm surprised that her first encounter with the Princess Consort didn't get her more of a punishment than simply apologizing to a woman she'd put into distress.

So I worry for her a little bit.

Otherwise, I'm employing a "wait-and-see" tact on how I'm reading this book.  It seems like there are a lot of high ratings for The Princess Curse and people are boasting about how intelligent and strong Reveka is, so I'm holding out hope that I'll come around to liking the book and the character.