The 24 Tasks of the Festive Season

Updates

on 11/06/2018
Ahh... two down!  I'm already doing MUCH better than I did last year.  And I've only really finished reading one book for a different task!  =D

Task 1

Pick your ponies! MbD will post the horses scheduled to race as soon as they’re released; everyone picks the three they think will finish (in any order).

So here is the link to MbD's Melbourne Cup Day announcement; also where to choose your horses!

24 Festive Tasks: Door 3 ... Wait! What Happened to Door 2?

In light of the fact that the door wasn't to be revealed until the day of the race, we were given a sneak peak of this first task in order to be able to choose our horses ahead of time.  And so here are the horses I had chosen for this task with hopes that I have better luck than... well... any time, really.

Horses chosen: 1) Sound Check / 2) Zacada / 3) Rostropovich

These choices were based on a very scientifically complex strategy of "Eenie Meenie Miney Moe" and "This like the sound of this name!"

Here is the final winning line-up of the race itself:
24 Tasks of the Festive Season: Melbourne Cup Day RESULTS

Winning horses:  1st - Cross Counter / 2nd - Marmelo / 3rd - A Prince of Arran

So... drat.  No points were earned by yours truly this round.

Task 2

Cup day is all about the hats.  Post a picture of your favorite hat, whether it’s one you own or not.
-- 11/06/2018

I don't really like to wear hats if only because I always get a gnarly case of hat hair that I can never fix--so it's either wear the hat always until I get a chance to see a mirror and a brush, or wear no hats.  Of course, you always want the things you can't have, so I DO have a couple hats that I love, even if I never find a chance to wear them.

Well, hello there Penni!  Trying to wear my hat, are you?

I got the black one at a Japanese general store in Dallas called Daiso, where they sell everything for pretty much under $5.  It's a little hard to tell, but it's a cadet style hat rather than a baseball cap.  I liked it a lot, wore it out twice, and it's been sitting on Blue Bear's head ever since we got home from our vacation in May.

The other hat I got at Disney World and instantly fell in love with it, if only because I immediately took to the "This is my happy face" quote.  XD

Task 3

The coloring of the “horse of a different color” in the movie version of The Wizard of Oz was created by rubbing the horse’s fur with jello.  What’s the weirdest use of jello you’ve ever come across?

I can't say I've ever come across anything like this before, so I might just have to skip this task... though now I'm tempted to do a quick Google search for weirdest uses for jello...

Task 4

Have you ever been to or participated in a competition involving horses (racing, jumping, dressage, whatever)?  Tell us about it.  Photos welcome, too!
-- 11/06/2018

Unfortunately, I don't really have any good pictures, but I went to a horse track for the very first time in May this year when my parents, brothers, and I visited my elder brother in Dallas!  Yay for completing tasks without realizing it!

These are the best pictures I was able to get though.

We weren't in the best spot, but it was still an interesting experience.  We won a couple dollars and lost a lot more, and I learned a bunch of new terms... that I promptly forgot about what it means for different combinations of horses to win.  I'm recalling terminology like 'Trifecta' and 'Exacta'; and that 'Show' just means the horse you chose to 'Show' places at all?  Goodness, I should have been taking better notes.

But it's the fun that counts, right?

Book Task

About horses or a horse on the cover.  Books with roses on the cover or about gardening; anything set in Australia.

TBA

Source: http://anicheungbookabyss.blogspot.com/2018/11/24-festive-tasks-door-3-melbourne-cup.html