The 24 Tasks of the Festive Season

Updates

on 11/05/2018
Three tasks down in one go!  This is definitely a first for me.  In past years, I believe all I did was slack off and try to finish reading books.  hehe

Task 1

Burn a book in effigy. Not that anyone of us would do such a thing, but if you HAD to, which book would be the one you’d sacrifice to the flames (gleefully or not)?
--11/05/2018

If I had to choose one I'd sacrifice, I've read a lot of books that probably should never have existed, but there are at least two books in my recollection that I had felt the need to toss across the room during the reading of it, or pound against my own forehead due to sheer frustration.

But I will choose this one:

This was not a terrible series, but it definitely could have done without this second book, and erased all the stupid, stupid, stupid things that the main heroine ends up doing to completely screw all the development she'd almost had at the end of the first book.

Task 2

List your top 3 treasonous crimes against books. Not ones you’ve committed, but the ones you think are the worst.
-- 11/05/2018

I'm sure I can come up with a lot more crimes against books than three, but here are the ones that stand out most to me at this point.  And apparently, they're pretty in line with almost everyone else's I happened to glimpse already.

1) Burning books, because, WTF?

2) Defacing or damaging book in any purposeful way.  I especially do not, DO NOT like it when people take perfectly good books to create book art with--it's one of my biggest pet peeves, no matter HOW creative it looks.

3) Borrowing a book and either returning it damaged, or not returning it at all.  It also makes me tick when someone borrows a book, but sets it aside and keeps telling me that they haven't had time to get to it yet--it's not a big, big crime, but it DOES make me side-eye you every other time you want to borrow a book, and yet you haven't read the one I've already lent out.

Task 3

Share your favorite / most memorable BBQ recollections or recipe, or your favorite recipe for food “flambé” (i.e., doused with alcohol which is then set aflame and allowed to burn off).
-- 11/05/2018

So I don't know if this would be stretching the BBQ task, so if it is, I can always find something else to post.  But technically it's still grilling meat over a gas grill...

My family and I love going to Korean BBQ!  When our city first got a Korean barbecue restaurant, I was quite ecstatic, because my brothers had tried it before on a trip to Dallas (yes, without me because I couldn't go).  I went with my parents first and we really enjoyed the experience.  It was fun, and everything tastes delicious--what more can you ask for?

So, in a way, it's become one of our family's go-to places... even though my dad always complains about the pricing.

I love everything about it:  Tasty meats marinated in yummy spicy bean paste, or Korean BBQ sauces; side dishes of kimcheed veggies to wet the appetite as you wait for things to cook; and savory sauces to accompany your meats or rice for an extra oomph of taste!  There's even an alternate menu of other pretty awesome dishes if tons of meat isn't your thing that night.

Isn't it all so pretty?

Task 4

Find 5 uses of the word “gunpowder” in book titles in contexts other than for blowing up things or shooting people (e.g., Gunpowder Green by Laura Childs = tea).

This one may require some research and consideration...

Book Task

Set in the UK, political thrillers, involving any monarchy or revolution; books about arson or related to burning.

TBA

Source: http://anicheungbookabyss.blogspot.com/2018/11/24-festive-tasks-door-2-guy-fawkes-night.html