Six of Crows - Leigh Bardugo

He was supposed to be making his rounds at the Hoede house, but for the last fifteen minutes, he'd been hovering around the southeast wall of the gardens trying to think of something clever and romantic to say to Anya.

If only Anya's eyes were blue like the sea or green like an emerald.  Instead, her eyes were brown--lovely, dreamy... melted chocolate brown?  Rabbit fur brown?

Pfft.  This made me laugh.  It's pretty trivial, but it made me laugh anyway.  And it was only the second and third paragraph into the book.  What a romantic, this guy is.  :D

I couldn't help starting Six of Crows even though I only have one day left to finish reading The Nightmare Dilemma for my Reading Assignment Challenge this month--I'm almost done and I'll get there by the end of September.  Whether or not I'll have the book reviewed by then is another matter altogether.

I've been looking forward to Six of Crows ever since I first heard of it and I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy it.  As the official blurb tells us (from Goodreads):

Ketterdam: a bustling hub of international trade where anything can be had for the right price—and no one knows that better than criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker. Kaz is offered a chance at a deadly heist that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he can't pull it off alone...

A convict with a thirst for revenge.

A sharpshooter who can't walk away from a wager.

A runaway with a privileged past.

A spy known as the Wraith.

A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums.

A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes.

Six dangerous outcasts. One impossible heist. Kaz's crew is the only thing that might stand between the world and destruction—if they don't kill each other first.

It's like Ocean's Eleven, high fantasy style, and takes place in Leigh Bardugo's infamous Grishaverse.  Except there are only six of them, hence the title, though I guess we have yet to see what this has to do with crows.

Still... I don't even need other reviewer recommendations for this.  I'm all over it and now that I've got a taste of the beginning, I'm probably just going to devour the rest of it just like I did for Bardugo's entire Grisha trilogy.

And me with such a tight reading list right now...