Magonia - Maria Dahvana Headley

When it's my turn to talk, I take off the alligator head, and recite a little chunk of pi.  Then I say, as fast as possible:  "So, you may or may not know that people keep finding more digits of that number.  I wanted to give Aza all the digits.  I tried that, the first time we met.  I found out later that she knew more digits than I did.  I was trying to give her something that wouldn't ever end."

People look at me.  There is a collective adult sympathy noise that makes me want to puke.

"That's it," I say.  "That's all.  I'm fine.  No, don't worry."

Man, this book... the FEELS... really sneaks up on you.  And, to be honest, it wasn't what I was expecting... and then some.

Magonia's narrative format is kind of different than I've read before--strange with a weird flow to it.  A "stream of conscience" is what I've seen it described as, for both Aza's and Jason's POV.  I love their analogies and their vivid descriptions of intangible things such as feelings and thoughts.

And I kind of like how it's turning out.  As for the story itself, I'm getting more intrigued as we go.  What's happened to Aza?  'Cause the book isn't over yet, so we know

she didn't really die.

(show spoiler)

(I will NOT skip ahead to skim for details...  I will NOT skip ahead and skim for details...)

I already did an oopsie and read a short review of this book before I started reading this book and so I know that things are just going to start getting weirder from here.  I'm very curious to see just what direction we're going now, because a lot of the book was already kind of weird to begin with (but weird in an amusingly good way).

Still... these last two chapters were kind of brutal.  Seriously.