Top Ten Tuesdays is an original and weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

Top Ten Books From My Childhood (or teen years) That I Would Love to Revisit

I wrote up a random Top Ten one day when I was bored and thinking about old childhood favorites.  And so I figured I might as well make use of that post since it pretty much reflects all the books I'd like to revisit anyway.

1. Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder

This has always been the first book that came to mind whenever someone mentioned children's books.  I remember the entire series being a favorite of mine during elementary school when I first read it.  And although most people would remember Little House on the Prairie as the “it” Little House book, I always came back to the very first book in this series.  There was just something about the coziness and warmth of little Laura living in a cabin with her small family that made me love it a lot.

1. The Boxcar Children series by Gertrude Chandler Warner

While all the other girls I knew were reading V.C. Andrews or The Babysitters’ Club, I loved reading the mystery adventures of the four Boxcar Children.  Sure, I look back on it now and find the concept extremely juvenile (since I’ve read several other mysteries with better suspense and gore), but this series was what started me off as a mystery lover when I was a child.

1. Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White

This book has always been a childhood favorite, though for the life of me, I could not discern why in my present mindset.  It’s a very sad story that almost seems absurd.  But I can say for certain that this is a book I’ve read at least three or four times more than I needed to read it.  It might have even been one of the first chapter books I read as a child for school.  There's a possibility that I had read and reread it so many times because of limited access to other books and since Charlotte's Web was there, it was what I chose.

1. Sideways Stories From Wayside School by Louis Sachar

This book (and the rest of the series) was just all sorts of crazy fun.  These were also books I found myself reading over and over again just because of the crazy fun that made absolutely no sense whatsoever, but to my childhood mind, it was hilarious.

1. Nancy Drew series by Carolyn Keene

When I told a friend (an older adult who did a lot of reading) how much I loved to read and how much I enjoyed a good mystery (after my Boxcar Children days), this was the series that he recommended to me.  In fact, he even had his sister lend me the series, four books at a time and I devoured each and every one of those books.  Nancy Drew serves as a wonderful fictional main female character for lots of girls to look up to, in my opinion since she’s smart, resourceful, and pretty much a fantastic female idol.

I only ever read up to about Book #30 of the original Nancy Drew series.

1. Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein

So this is a book of poems, but as a child, this was the largest tome I owned and carried around with me all the time for a long time.  I would flip through it and pick and choose random poems to read because they were cute and fun.

1. One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss

Let’s just all admit that Dr. Seuss is a genius children's book author so we can agree that no matter what book he’s written/illustrated was awesome.  Unfortunately, this was the one and only Dr. Seuss book I ever actually owned and so it became one of my Dr. Seuss favorites despite the fact that I got to borrow several others from some of my classrooms’ tiny corner book areas when I had free time to do leisurely reading (which was all the time since I always finished my assignments early so I could have the honor of sitting in the reading areas).

1. The Berenstain Bears by Stan and Jan Berenstain

I owned several of these picture books when I was young and enjoyed flipping through them a lot.  Although, now that there are no children in the house, I often wonder what happened to them.  I always got excited when Mom allowed me to buy another of these books through school catalogs.  They were cute.

I don't have a recollection of every Berenstain Bears book I ever owned, but the above two stand out because they must have been my favorites.

1. Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson

While I don’t entirely remember this book, I remember it was one of the cutest books I’ve read in my life.  I remember that I liked it a lot when I first read it.

1. The Dollhouse Murders by Betty Ren Wright

Another murder mystery, but this time it was laced with the paranormal.  This was basically my first foray into the paranormal mystery genre, involving ghosts, murder, and a young girl getting the crap scared out of her as she tried to find out what to do to solve this mystery.  On top of that, because of this book, I think I was determined to write my very own young adult/middle grade/children's paranormal murder mystery as well.  Ghosts scare the crap out of me, but this book was so spooky it was awesome.

Last year I went and revisited this book as part of a Book Club Read-Along with my BFF.  After all these years, I still enjoyed it a lot.  See my recent review here.